The revised edition of the series Foundation Mathematics for Classes 6, 7 and 8 is based on the latest curriculum prepared and recommended by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi, to be effective from the academic year 2017-18 and onwards. The present mathematics curriculum aims to develop a number of Mathematical Skills (like Numerical Calculation, Algebraic Manipulation, Spatial Visualisation, Data Analysis, Measurement, Estimation and Approximation) and Mathematical Processes (like Reasoning, Communication and Connections, Problem solving and Heuristics, Estimation, Technology, etc.) among students at these levels.
This series has been developed and designed keeping in mind the following objectives of the latest curriculum :
Students should :
• Enjoy learning of mathematics.
• Learn important mathematics that is much more than few formulas and mechanical procedures of solving problems.
• Pose and solve meaningful problems.
• See mathematics as something to talk about, to communicate, to discuss among themselves, to work together on.
• Understand the basic structure of mathematics : Arithmetic, algebra, geometry and trigonometry, the basic content areas of school mathematics, all offer a methodology of abstraction, structuration and generalization.
While developing and designing these books, each and every key concept has been
explained using suggested transactional processes and learning resources. To the point
and straight-forward approach, as applied in these books, make learning of mathematics
enjoyable and interesting. Examples and questions are so designed that students can
easily apply them to their daily life problems.
Salient features of the books in this series are :
• Detailed explanations of key concepts and a large number of solved examples and exercises so that the students may grasp the fundamentals and also acquire the desired problems solving and learning skills.
• A rich and comprehensive range of properly graded questions and solved examples.
• Exercises and questions within the exercises are so arranged that students can progress at an appropriate pace.
• Handy hints wherever required.
• Carefully designed to build students’ confidence in applying mathematical concepts to their daily life problems.
• A list of important concepts and results has been provided at the end of each chapter in the form of Things to Remember.
• The vocabulary and terminology used in the book is in accordance with the comprehension and maturity level of the students.
Features of Online Support:
• Chapter-wise Interactive Exercises
• Chapter-wise Assignments
• Solutions/Hints of textbook problems (only for teachers)
• Test Paper Generator (only for teachers)
It is sincerely hoped that this series will meet the needs and requirements of teachers and students alike. Suggestions and comments for the improvement and notices of errors (if any) will be highly appreciated.